Friday, June 14, 2013

"The City of the Living God"

But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, Hebrews 12:22 ESV
In Christ, our citizenship has changed. We are no longer citizens of the earth. We may live here, but this is not our home anymore. Our home is in Mount Zion, the city of God, the heavenly Jerusalem. Our citizenship is out of this world.
I love the visual of this verse. When I read this verse and think of my baptism, I see myself entering the gates of the Holy City, the heavenly Jerusalem. I see the heavenly host gathered and all the excitement of a street festival. Everyone overjoyed to be together in the presence of our God!
photo  ©2012  Ted Eytan, Flickr
I am also reminded of Luke 15:10 Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” ESV This verse tells me that when we come to Christ there is a great celebration in heaven. Our rebirth is celebrated! Our place in the city of the living God is assured.
So today, let’s enjoy the fact that we have a place in the heavenly Jerusalem. Let’s celebrate that fact by inviting someone else to join us there. We wouldn’t have problem inviting someone to a festival we’re going to, so let’s invite people to join us at the greatest festival of all. The heavenly one!
© 2013 Leo J. Woodman

No comments:

Post a Comment