Friday, April 12, 2013

I will follow you


And a scribe came up and said to him, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.” And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.” Matthew 8:19,20 ESV



The verses above remind me of my friend Scott. I think Scott takes these verses to heart. He believes that he is to spread the gospel just like Jesus did. He is willing to follow Jesus and leave all the creature comforts behind and go serve people where they are.

Think about what is happening in these verses. A very religious man tells Jesus “I will follow you wherever you go.” Jesus response is to tell the man what it means to follow follow him. Jesus basically says if you want to follow me you won’t have all the comforts you are used to. Because, Jesus said I don’t even have a place to lay my head at night. It’s safe to assume that the scribe didn’t follow Jesus, because he probably had  a comfortable living and wasn’t ready give all of it up.

I respect the fact that Scott takes these verses to heart and lives his life according to them. How many of us would be willing to sacrifice all that we enjoy to follow Jesus and travel from place to place to share the good news?  That’s what Scott did.  

So today, let’s consider what we can do to follow Jesus more closely. How can we leave our comfort zone and reach out to others like Jesus did? There are many people out there today that need to hear the Gospel. How will we bring it to them?
© 2013 Leo J. Woodman

No comments:

Post a Comment