Monday, March 4, 2013

the Almighty


“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”Revelation 1:8 ESV

Verse six speaks of the deity of Christ. It is an I am statement. An I am statement is a powerful statement. It is a GOD statement. Think of what God said to Moses in Exodus 3:14 I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.” ESV When Moses had asked God what he should tell the people His name was when they asked God said “ I AM ”. So when this statement is made concerning Jesus it means He is on par with God.

The Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. This entire verse speaks of the eternal nature of Christ. He is God, He is and was and is coming again. He is the Almighty. This verse also gives us hope in that we know where Jesus is and where we will be when He comes again.

The Almighty, El Shaddai-God Almighty proclaims His power. There is none greater. This would have been a very comforting thought for the first century church. With all the power and might that the Roman emperor had, he paled in comparison to the power of Christ.

We can draw great comfort in that as well today. When we are faced with what seems to be insurmountable odds, we can overcome with Christ. As the Apostle John said, “Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.” 1John 4:4 ESV

So today, let’s remember we are victorious in HIM!



© 2013 Leo J. Woodman


No comments:

Post a Comment