Wednesday, December 26, 2012

We deceive ourselves

 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1 John 1:8 ESV


When I read this verse I realize that I have to admit to myself that I do have sin in my life. When I admit this I then can begin to evaluate my spiritual condition. If I can't admit this to myself I am truly deceiving myself and lying to myself.

If you notice in this verse John writes in the plural sense. In other words he includes himself in his statement. He wants to get the message across that none of us is exempt from self deceit. We all must be honest with ourselves about our capacity for sinful behavior.

The reality is that we all commit sins more often than we would like to admit. But, we have a faithful God that is willing to forgive us. So, we must be careful not to think more highly of ourselves than we ought.

It is easy to see the sins of others. It is easy to judge their motives for what they do. It's not so easy to see our own short comings. But, when we do look at ourselves more honestly we can be more forgiving toward others. We will be less likely to condemn others when we can say to ourselves; "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone." John 8:7 b ESV

Today let's all take an honest look inward and confess our sins to the one who can and will forgive us. Let us also forgive others as we have been forgiven.


© 2012 Leo J. Woodman

No comments:

Post a Comment