Thursday, June 21, 2012

Be like the teacher

 "A pupil is not above his teacher; but everyone, after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher.
Luke 6:40 NASB


Many of us had a teacher when we were growing up that had a profound effect on us. In some case we may have even tried to model our life and philosophies after that teacher. The reason we would do this is because we saw in them characteristics we would like to see developed in ourselves. I am not speaking solely about school teachers, but about the people that have had a great influence in our lives and what we have become.

I think back to a man in my life when I was growing up, my grandfather Leo Joseph Helbourg. I use his full name because I am named after him and proud of that fact. He was actually my step-grandfather, he had married my grandmother and helped her to raise her four sons. I think of him often and his peaceful, gentle nature. I also remember the great respect my mother had for this man. She always referred to him as “a true gentleman” and that he was. I never heard him raise his voice or have a harsh word for anyone. When they would come to visit, it wouldn't be long before he was out in the yard roaming around quietly enjoying the flowers and trees. I used to follow him around and just watch in awe, this peaceful quiet man and his appreciation for God's creation. We weren't together nearly enough , but I am thankful for the times we had. He taught me so much without saying a whole lot.

The biggest lesson he taught me was to be a man of peace and patience. This was important growing up in a world where I didn't see much of either. While my grandfather was a great teacher, he wasn't the greatest teacher. Jesus is the greatest teacher. When I was younger I wanted to model my life after my grandfather, but as I began to read the New Testament I began to realize that I really needed to model my life after Jesus.

So, when I read the verse above I am reminded that when this life is finished I want to have known that I lived it at Jesus feet. I want to know that I have done my best to learn from Him and to be like him. So, today and every day I need to follow Him through the pages of my bible and watch in awe as He changes lives and shows people a better way. My goal is to finish my training and to be like Him when I graduate to glory.

So, today think about some great teacher in your life and appreciate all they have taught you and realize that Jesus can teach you so much more. Determine today that you want to be like Him. Follow Him and you will go where He has gone.

© 2012 Leo J. Woodman




No comments:

Post a Comment